As TEDxStanleyPark is closing in, we are excited to deliver a legendary experience to you. This year, we have invited champions within our community to share with us great ideas and insights that would allow us to make positive changes in our lives as well as others – from esteemed professors and CEOs to writers and ambassadors with inspiring stories. But are you aware of who they are before or outside of work?
Here are a few fun facts about this year’s speakers that you probably didn’t know about:
1. When Dr. Homayoun Najjaran is not busy analysing and designing advanced control systems or teaching young leaders of tomorrow, he leads the Advanced Control and Intelligent Systems (ACIS) Laboratory at the University of British Columbia as its founder since 2006.
2. Aside from being the recipient of an honorary doctor of letters degree from Capilano University in 2013, as well as a three-time winner of the Beyond Borders Media Award, Daphne Bramham is an avid traveller, having been to numerous countries for her work including nine countries in Asia and 17 countries in Europe.
3. Before becoming a successful professional trainer and speaker, David Knapp-Fisher spent more than 35 years in hospitality and sales as a Chef, and worked his way up through the ranks to senior hotel management. In 2013, he decided to start sharing his insights on a blog as a way to connect with passionate, inspiring people who want to lead remarkable lives!
4. Author and performer Jacky Yenga was sent away from home at the mere age of 9 years old. She has since developed an extraordinary sense of self-awareness and control over her emotions, and has clearly defined her six core values in life: Humanity, Togetherness, Personal Responsibility, Doing what is Right, Being Real, and Keeping it Light.
5. Despite currently being the Project Manager working on translational research in honey bee and human health projects, Dr. Marta Guarna was never a fan of insects (it goes to show how beneficial bees must be to us). Prior to her role with Bee Integrated pest management (IPM), Marta worked as a scientist, team leader, and Director in Biotech and Biopharmaceutical companies.
6. Bestselling author and Chairman & CEO of Canada Wide Media Limited, Peter Legge is living his dream. However, he is also an Internationally acclaimed professional speaker, being voted as the “Golden Gavel Award Winner” and “Top Speaker in North America” by Toastmasters International, as well as having inducted into the “Speakers Hall of Fame” by both the National Speakers Association and the Canadian Association of Professional Speakers. Peter also a great sense of humor, as you can see in his speech for Toastmasters here.
7. Matt Young, founder of Innovative Fitness and co-founded Digital Shelfspace, was in fact recognized as one of Caldwell partners of Canada in 2006 and Business in Vancouver’s Top 40 Under 40 business leaders in 2011. When he is not devoting his time helping others in the in the health & fitness space, Matt is a two time Ironman Finisher, 10 time marathon finisher, and multi-day adventure race, cycling & running champion. He has ridden across 3 countries by bike, and has raised over 5.5 million dollars for different charities.
TEDxStanleyPark is happening in 4 days! Get to know our presenters, and get ready for a day filled with inspiration and learning! Please look out for our newsletters for the newest updates.